Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Wringing of the Rags, Washcloths

One of Marilyn’s bathroom rules was that I had to “wring” out the washcloth after I used it to wash my face. It took a while for me to learn this rule because we really didn’t get up at the same time. So, she would often just ask.

There was a practical reason for her rule, a drier rag soured more slowly.

My contention was that my squeeze got out more than enough water so I didn’t need to “wring.”

One time I made it into the bathroom after she had “wrung” out the washcloth. I proceeded to squeeze it and show her how much more water my squeeze got out than her “wring.” She was not impressed. Her contention was that my “wring” would certainly take out even more water.

I shut up and am “wringing” to this very day. After all, if I hadn’t stopped when I did, I would’ve gotten the chore of “wringing” out her washcloths.

---------

Marilyn lost her life to cancer but was able to truly "live" until the very end due to a lymphedema garment from Don Kellogg, inventor and founder of Telesto-Medtech. It is due to the "living" he provided Marilyn and through his suggestion and connection with Saskia Thiadens of the National Lymphedema Network that the Marilyn Westbrook Garment Fund exists. It needs other people's help to remain a living memorial of Marilyn. Please help other people receive the gift of living by donating to the Marilyn Westbrook Garment Fund. Thank you.

No comments: