Sunday, September 28, 2008

Invitation to a "Formal Affair"

After the “kiss” and a couple real dates, I got a card in the mail that sent my spirits soaring. There was one word that jumped off the card as soon as I opened it: “affair.”

Actually my spirits were soaring for other reasons. She liked being with me and had sent me a card to tell me so. It was an invitation to go for a walk in a local Columbus park, Blendon Woods, and do some leaf crunching. The “affair” was just her humor characterizing the walk and leaf crunching in a parenthetical expression as a “real formal affair.”

As you will read in future entries, we did a lot of walking in our time together and made our children join in by not giving them an option. Walking in woods and crunching leaves was always special, probably, no most definitely, because of this very first time and the special invitation. I kept it for years and hope it is still around in some box or folder.

---------

Marilyn lost her life to cancer but was able to truly "live" until the very end due to a lymphedema garment from Don Kellogg, inventor and founder of Telesto-Medtech. It is due to the "living" he provided Marilyn and through his suggestion and connection with Saskia Thiadens of the National Lymphedema Network that the Marilyn Westbrook Garment Fund exists. It needs other people's help to remain a living memorial of Marilyn. Please help other people receive the gift of living by donating to the Marilyn Westbrook Garment Fund. Thank you.

No comments: