Monday, October 13, 2008

The Whirlwind to get Married

Once we decided to get married, we wanted to do it as quickly as possible but not the fastest way by eloping. But we had other mundane things to take care of like an engagement ring, wedding bands, a blood test, a venue, a minister, … and we wanted it all done by January 14th. (Since our anniversary is on January 28th, you know that it took almost twice as long as we had hoped.)

Some things happened quickly. She fell in love with a unique engagement ring designed for a Diamond Cellar employee in Columbus, called the Betty. So my shopping style combined with her amazingly fast agreement settled that quickly.

The blood test was another trial. I don’t think that they even do it any more. But they did for us. It turned out that Marilyn couldn’t stand the sight of needles, well needles entering her. She was fine watching the needle draw my blood.

It was probably the venue that drove the date more than anything else. I don’t know how we found it or knew of it, but the Granville Inn had a perfect long room with an organ and adjacent restaurant with a chef who specialized in wedding cakes. The earliest this could come together was the 28th.

The only problem, which turned out for other reasons not to be a problem because of a much larger one, was Marilyn’s choice of music. After not really paying attention to music that I didn’t create, vocally, for much of my youth, I really fell in love with the Beatles. Marilyn wanted “Feelings” and “Yesterday” played at our wedding. After our talk, which included me saying such things as: “I think they are too sad.” “Have you ever really listened to the words?” And the real killer, “Do you still have feelings for Jim?” She told me that she just liked the music and wasn’t trying to convey any message. I liked the music too but was still concerned about the implied message. If she hadn't asked about those songs by name in my presence, I don't think I would have noticed the music on the day.

It all became moot as our best-laid plans were about to be laid low by the weather.

---------

Marilyn lost her life to cancer but was able to truly "live" until the very end due to a lymphedema garment from Don Kellogg, inventor and founder of Telesto-Medtech. It is due to the "living" he provided Marilyn and through his suggestion and connection with Saskia Thiadens of the National Lymphedema Network that the Marilyn Westbrook Garment Fund exists. It needs other people's help to remain a living memorial of Marilyn. Please help other people receive the gift of living by donating to the Marilyn Westbrook Garment Fund. Thank you.

No comments: